Thursday, November 19, 2015

#202 Vanka- Anton Chekhov


#202 Vanka- Anton Chekhov

A beautiful but heartbreaking story. A young child, and apprentice to a shoemaker is writing his grandfather on Christmas eve. This is his only living relative and he needs to be rescued.

“Come dear grandpa…by Christ God I beg you, take me away from here. Have pity on me, a wretched orphan, because everybody beats me, and I’m so hungry, and it’s so dreary I can’t tell you, I just cry all the time…My life is going worse that any dog’s…dear grandpa, come.”

He writes in secret and worries about being discovered, he cant run away because he has no shoes. He finishes and braves the cold in just a shirt to mail his letter. He learned last week that to send a letter you must address it and drop it in a mail box. He dutifully writes on the envelope:

“To Granpa in the Village” drops it in, and waits to be saved.



No comments:

Post a Comment