Saturday, January 2, 2016

#246 God- Jack Kerouac


#246 God- Jack Kerouac

For this New Year I begin with some Jack Kerouac. Who better? It’s filled with hope, adventure, and expectation. We start with a blank page: “This page is long blank and full of truth. When I am through with it, it shall probably be long, full, and empty with words.”

A young writer talks with God, it’s not a prayer as much as a conversation.  He ruminates on life, survival, and his will to write original words. Not unlike many who have tried, he struggles with his voice, and sometimes must sell his talents for the mundane needs of life.

“Tonight, I wrote a short story for a fellow on this floor. I toiled with it for an hour and a half. I had to make it exciting, fill it with colorful and authentic descriptions, and pound it out into the conventional whole. That is, wholeness of what is called the common short story. Beginning, middle, end. It has to introduce, enlarge, burst, and die down. So I plunged into it and finished it. It would net me one dollar.”

This was fun to read and think about the art of short story telling, and very house of mirrors. I’m now writing about a writer writing about short story writing.

Notable Passage: “You can’ be an artist unless you’re a member of humanity. Hermits make awful poets, I think. You can’t ruminate peacefully by a little stream in the woods unless you’ve been liberated from the turmoil of civilization. Peace is a relative thing. And it always turns out to be short lived."



No comments:

Post a Comment