Friday, March 4, 2016

#308 Oragami Prunes- Antonio Ruiz-Camacho


#308 Oragami Prunes- Antonio Ruiz-Camacho

This story was kind of all over the place for me. Two displaced wealthy Mexicans meet in Laundromat in Austin. She is older and cynical, he is young and naïve. They have a torrid lost-weekend and then part ways never to met again. There is some symbolism attached to wild fires, tumbling inside of dryers, and Michael Jackson’s death, but it’s not apparent to me what they mean.

That said, it wasn’t without some entertainment. It had a few good lines. The first is probably my favorite first line in the 300 stories I’ve covered in this blog:

“I first met Laura at a washateria the day both my washer and Michael Jackson died.”

And then it also had probably the creepiest line I’ve read in the 300 stories covered in this blog:

“Laura’s helplessness was wrapped in a thin layer of arrogance that made her sexy and unnerving, a thing you wanted to put your hands on.”

So, there’s that.

Notable Passage: “Nostalgia is the saddest form of glee.”




No comments:

Post a Comment