Sunday, July 24, 2016

#451 Car Crash While Hitchhiking- Denis Johnson


#451 Car Crash While Hitchhiking- Denis Johnson

“The traveling salesman had fed me pills that made the linings of my veins feel scraped out. My jaw ached. I knew every raindrop by its name. I sensed everything before it happened. I knew a certain Oldsmobile would stop for me even before it slowed, and by the sweet voices of the family inside it I knew we’d have an accident in the storm.”

And yes, all that happened; the horror of the accident and the realities of the lives of the victims, all untouched by this hitchhiker. He is a mere spectator, unattached to life and unharmed by this car crash. He is a ghost, an angel, a demon? Or is he merely the manifest meaninglessness we all pick up along the road.

“I looked down into the great pity of a person’s life on this earth. I don’t mean that we all end up dead, that’s not the great pity. I mean that he couldn’t tell me what he was dreaming, and I couldn’t tell him what was real.”


No comments:

Post a Comment