Monday, November 14, 2016

#561 Underfed- Susan Steinberg


#561 Underfed- Susan Steinberg

Have you ever sat next to somebody at a bar who has just taken a hug line of cocaine? That is what this story is like. It is a non-stop ramble from the onset. In fact the whole story is a single paragraph with no periods. The statements are separated by colons and semicolons. The story even begins and ends with a semicolon making is seem like we entered somewhere in the middle of this coke-fueled diatribe, this late-night drunken confessional. Each statement begins with “I,” “I’d,” or “I’m” adding to the self-centered tone.

The narrative bounces from subject to subject focusing on her family or the man she took home from the bar. As many substance-filled blatherings, it ranges from pure rationalization to oddly poignant and honest, like this passage about her not wanting to go hiking with a boyfriend:

“I wasn’t adverse to dirt; I was adverse to something else: like the pressure of having to pretend I cared about a bird, a stone, a star: like the pressure of having to be so fucking nice: like the pressure of having to be a certain type of guy when I was just a certain type of girl;”

I appreciate the style here. I don’t want to call it fresh or original because she isn’t the first author to write a story like this, but as someone who reads short stories everyday, it is refreshing to be out of the box a little—and it works. I don’t find it different for the sake of being different. Two stories in and I am enjoying this collection (spectacle).


No comments:

Post a Comment