Tuesday, December 13, 2016

#591 Dirty Wedding- Denis Johnson


#591 Dirty Wedding- Denis Johnson

Johnson seems to like to write about assholes, degenerates and dark corners of society. Normally that's right up my alley. However I just haven’t been able to connect with much in this collection, Jesus’ Son. Besides the dirt and the shame and the fear and the pain, there is nothing here. Even a sense of loneliness would be welcoming, but all the characters seem to have a fatalist view of the world that makes me neither root for them or wish them ill. 

So what’s left? Nothing that I can’t find somewhere else, I can take these or leave them. After reading Tree of Smoke, I had such high hopes for his other works. Maybe he’s better at novels.

Notable Passage: “She wanted to eat my heart and be lost in the desert with what she’d done, she wanted to fall on her knees and give birth from it, she wanted to hurt me as only a child can be hurt by its mother.”

No comments:

Post a Comment