Tuesday, March 7, 2017

#672 Except Julia- Felisberto Hernandez


#672 Except Julia- Felisberto Hernandez

Letting go is difficult. Can you spend time both getting in touch with your own soul, and also connecting with others? A man has a tunnel, it is like an isolation tank. He uses it to shut out the world and heighten his senses. He believes that outside influence hinders his ability to see clearly.

“I used to hear a loud radio when I was strolling in the garden and it made me lose sight of the trees, of my whole life. It was a defilement that spoiled all my ideas: my own home longer seemed mine.”

He invites an old friend to his tunnel to experience this heightened perception. The experiment goes well, his friend sees the benefit of the tunnel, and of seeking the mysteries of the self. But he also sees the conflict. If they are in the tunnel together then their experience includes that person. It is unavoidable.

“I‘ve lived near other people and collected memories that don’t belong to me.”

“Soon we would be entering the tunnel with the memories of all the things the light had blurred before it went out.”

“In the tunnel I can feel all sorts of ideas going by on their way to someplace else.”

In the end, the man must decide to compromise, or be pure in his pursuits. If you are attached to someone, they become part of your “self”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment