Friday, May 26, 2017

#759 The One That Did Not Get Away- Fatima Shaik


#759 The One That Did Not Get Away- Fatima Shaik

A young woman is in love. Like most girls in love for the first time, she is taken with everything about this young man, even his scar.

“My boyfriend is the first man I have met who has mystery. He has excitement, a past I don’t know and a scar as proof of his difference… It is my privilege now to have finally met a man with a scar. Not a deep scar, a fine scar. One that gives character to him and excitement to me—the plain, the sheltered, and the unadventured. ”

She has heard too many love stories, read too many romance novels. Her view of this affair is all flowery and dramatic. He tells her that his scar comes from a fishing accident with a hook, but she doesn’t believe that’s true. She thinks he is being coy. She is young and naïve.

“Sixteen years I have already spent without harpooning romance, without waltzing desire, without fulfillment. I have never been fought over under the Dueling Oaks. I have never been kissed on the levee and then held hands in suicidal duet and plunged into the river. I have never lived in a bordello or run with pirates, even though this is New Orleans.” 

She will learn the true nature of life and love soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment