Saturday, June 17, 2017

#778 No Time for Seniors- Sidney Offit


#778 No Time for Seniors- Sidney Offit

Another selection out of the fun Brooklyn Noir collection, this one is just a little too gumshoe for my taste. Every sentence is packed with jargon, lingo and a bit over the top with the Brooklyn-ese dialect. Example:

“I need you pistol Pete…The cops have got Scoop in for murder. Murder. They say he done in Front Page Shamberger and Sherlock Iconoflop.”

Not that I can’t appreciate a good gumshoe name like Front Page Shamberger, but I generally like my noir a little darker and little more subtle. Short stories are too short to spend so much time getting into the “voice” of the piece. If I spend half my time trying to separate names from private detective jargon, I can’t enjoy the ride as much. Personal taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment