Tuesday, June 16, 2015

#47 How to Tell Stories to Children- Miranda July


#47 How to Tell Stories to Children- Miranda July

We meet Deb in her late 30’s, she harbors an open crush on her high school friend Tom, who himself is in a loveless, failed marriage. He and his wife Sarah are about to have a daughter Lyon. Despite the dis-function they stay together, and whenever Deb comes over to help with the baby, they pass her off and fight…“They were in a wilderness that was too wild for me.”

This assistance with the baby becomes a permanent situation, and like the divorced parents she has unofficial partial custody throughout Lyon’s childhood. Naturally (i say sarcastically), the crush she had on Tom is transferred to Lyon:

 “Now he was Lyon’s father, and she possessed the daring, the warmth, the wicked charm I once thought I would find in him.” Or: “I looked at him and his child, and for a fraction of a second I cold see the spell that bound me, like a silvery spider thread catching the light. Cast upon me long ago at an age when I longed to be ensnared, it now spanned generations.”

It’s a very odd arraignment that doesn’t work in any way.  They are “four people alone with all wrong feelings for each other.” The dis-function , and oddities continue with the family therapist who seems to have no moral code (and weird thoughts on men crying).

This is an utterly sad and depressing story about loneliness, and wasted lives. I’m not sure exactly what should be taken from this story except if you live a loveless life within loveless relationships…don’t have children.

Notable Passage: “Inelegantly and without my consent, time passed.”



No comments:

Post a Comment