Wednesday, September 9, 2015

#132 The Huntsman- Anton Chekhov


#132 The Huntsman- Anton Chekhov

A man, the huntsman comes across his wife, estranged for the past decade. He was tricked into marriage, he says, by drink and an over zealous Count.

“…and a drunk man can not only be married off, but can even be seduced into a different faith.”

She seems self-sufficient and somewhat indifferent to her wayward husband. She “sits down a bit further away in a patch of sun and, ashamed of her joy, covers her smiling mouth with her hand.”

They talk for a bit, they part ways, he feels slightly guilty, she feels slightly resentful. In the end, I believe this is a story about class and social standing:

“In your eyes I am a wild man, and in mine you are a simple peasant woman with no understanding. Are we well matched? I am a free, pampered, profligate man, while you are a working woman, going in bark shoes and never straightening your back. The way I think of myself is that I am the foremost man in every kind of sport, and you look at me with pity.”


No comments:

Post a Comment