Monday, June 20, 2016

#413 That Colour- Jon McGregor


#413 That Colour- Jon McGregor

This Isn’t the Sort of Thing That Happens to Someone Like You is a collection that has been on The-Best-Of lists since it was published a few years ago. This first salvo is, as we have seen in several collections, a short mood setter, an "amuse bouche" to announce the intention of the overall work

A woman stares out the window ruminating on the shortness of the years and the changing of the season. She is awed by it, as if it is the first time she has thought these things. Her husband, more pragmatic:

“I asked her why she was so surprised. I told her it was autumn, it was what happened…I told her she went through this every year…I dried my hands and went through the front room and stood beside her. I felt for her hand and held it. I said, But tell me again.”


No comments:

Post a Comment