Friday, June 24, 2016

#420 Barefoot Dogs- Antonio Ruiz-Camacho


#420 Barefoot Dogs- Antonio Ruiz-Camacho

This is the title story of this collection. As in most of them, it’s about a wealthy family fleeing the violence in Mexico City. They have a newborn child and the father is up early taking care of the baby, reluctantly and resentfully.

“I take the baby out and feel him looking at me. I avoid his eyes. He is an exact replica of me. It gives me the creeps.”

He’s ashamed that he has fled ashamed of what has become of him family. “What a horrible and pathetic father. How immature, how useless and cowardly. I imagine her asking herself why she’s still with me and what’s keeping her from leaving, from meeting someone else, a real man. Someone like my father.”

His father has been kidnapped, and as he continues to move his family away from danger, the kidnappers send parts of his father they have cut off, in boxes to him. The violence that follows then is no joke.

As this collection finishes, I am left feeling a little confused. I’m not exactly sure how I’m supposed to feel. I can’t say that anyone in these stories deserves the violence that befell them, but they aren’t painted in a great light either. They are wealthy, privileged, sheltered and out of touch with reality.

I guess this story is a microcosm of it all. If you focus on the father-son story lines, on a human level, you can sympathize. But on the other hand, we see a man who has fled mexico, his father is being cut up into small pieces and his thoughts are about gow embarrassing it would be to rent an apartment already furnished; or how he could furnish it himself by buying the whole furniture store, but he wouldn’t because it was all too cheap for his taste. So, again, I’m not sure how I’m supposed to feel about characters I have no connection with.


No comments:

Post a Comment