Tuesday, October 18, 2016

#543 The Cows- Lydia Davis


#543 The Cows- Lydia Davis

These are some meditative thoughts while watching cows:

-Their attention is complete, as they look across the road: They are still and face us. Just because they are so still, their attitude seems philosophical.

-Because there are three, one of them can watch what the other two are doing together.

-I see only one cow, by the fence. As I walk up to the fence, I see part of a second cow: one ear sticking sideways out the door of the barn. Soon, I know, her whole face will appear, looking at me.”

Reading this I am reminded of a book I once found in a “Free Book” pile on a lower Manhattan sidewalk called Thoughts While Tending Sheep. This W.G Ilefeldt work was a meditative look inside the mind of the narrator as he went about living a pastoral existence. It was a philosophical story about feeling connected to the world around him, and he had these thoughts while tending sheep. It was a fun book, and it has stuck with me for the last few decades, at least enough to remember it now.

This story is nothing like that. It is just observations of cows, with little to no insight into what these observations mean to the observer or why we should care about it now. I have no doubt that sitting on a farm and watching cows can be a peaceful, spiritual experience, but reading about it in such a dry, step-by-step manner is not meditative, or minimalist—its boring.


No comments:

Post a Comment