Sunday, April 9, 2017

#713 Feeling for Life- J. California Cooper


#713 Feeling for Life- J. California Cooper

Christine is a poor black blind girl. Her mother is old and losing her health. Both her sister and brother are selfish and no help. When the mother died, her siblings fought over whatever little money her mother had. When that was gone, the brother left and the sister abandoned her on the steps of the church. Her needs are simple but life is hard. How will she get by?

“I feared and wanted the love of a man. But, I thought, who would ever want me? I knew I would want death when my mother died. Yet! How could I know what I wanted? I had never SEEN anything! Never done anything! Never had anything.”

This story is a touching one of survival, faith and family, with a heavy theme of self-reliance. This is the final story on this collection, Some Soul to Keep.

Notable Passage: “You set your life by what you don’t have as much as what you do have.”

No comments:

Post a Comment