Saturday, May 16, 2015

#16 North Light- Mark Helprin


#16- North Light (1981) Mark Helprin

This is a simple war piece.  An Israeli infantry squad awaits orders above the battleground during the 6-Day War.  It’s described as a “recollection in the present tense.”  The narrator is a member of the squad.  I’m not sure what this story is really saying: That war is boring, war is scary, war is hell, war is…war?

Helprin tries to hit upon a few wartime life-of-a-solider themes, and outlines the different approaches to war between old vs. young, married vs. single, but they really don’t go anywhere.  Like most of what’s in this piece, they’re just passing thoughts.  Maybe that’s the point, the idle thoughts of infantrymen while they await the horrors of battle? I found it to be a pretty cold, stilted scene. Like most of his pieces this one is technically sound.  Good juxtaposition of light references in the first and last paragraphs.  However most of the writing I found over-thought or forced.  Take this sentence:

“Then war hits like an artillery shell…”

Pretty clunky simile if you ask me.  I mean, war IS an artillery shell, or war began WITH an artillery shell.  It’s not a simile if it’s the exact thing you’re describing, right? Maybe I’m off base, Helprin is an expert in writing, but somehow that bothered me a little.  Its also fair to point out that Helprin himself served in the Israeli infantry so…what do I know?

So far, in the 4 stories of this collection I’ve read, we’ve been in the Alps, Indian Ocean, Long Island, and Israel.  I like the variety, but I haven’t been able to lock down any kind of solid feel for Helprin or this book as a collection. Sometimes I feel a strong though muted emotion that makes me love his writing, and sometimes he’s cold and detached.  This story fell in that latter category.

Notable Passage: “But their fear is not as strong as the blood which is rising and fills their chests with anger and strength.”


No comments:

Post a Comment