Thursday, May 28, 2015

#28 Peg- Sam Shaw


#28 Peg (2006)- Sam Shaw

OK, this is an odd one.  At first it seems like a melancholy story about a young couple failing at marriage after 3 years. “Peg” is a made up fling he creates to make his wife jealous and hopefully kick start a passionate renewal of their relationship. He’s dis-illusioned, she’s closed off, etc. Sure, we’ve seen this before, but then it takes a wild turn to the bizarre and gory.

While out for a walk deciding whether to actually pursue cheating on his wife instead of just pretending to, he comes across a car accident that left the driver decapitated. Feeling helpless himself to do anything useful at such a scene, he couldn’t stop himself from staring at the severed head.  Approaching the head, he looked at its face for a sign of what to do:  “its as if the head had something to impart to him.”

So he takes the head with him…yup.  Suddenly it seems that our protagonist is a psychopath.  I realized it might be time to start reading with a different mindset.  I’m sure I can come up with some parallel or link to what the head represents…his failed relationship, the disappointment in himself. But really I think he’s just carrying around a severed head. 

Well, Mr. Shaw…you have my attention, this wasn’t exactly a home run, but it was memorable. I’ll look for more to read from you.

Notable Passage: I didn’t find anything to post here…but did I tell you that the main character carried around a severed head?!


No comments:

Post a Comment