Tuesday, May 24, 2016

#390 A Calendar of Tales- Neil Gaiman


#390 A Calendar of Tales- Neil Gaiman

What a tremendous story! This is told is twelve tales, each tale is a month of the year. This could be something out of Grimm’s Fairy tales. It is a battle with time, or a representation of spiritual limbo, a crossing, or it could be something else entirely. Whatever it is, it is what story telling is all about, and with it, Gaiman's creativity is peerless.

The story can turn from the utterly fantastical:

“I slept in my igloo made of books. I was getting hungry. I made a hole in the floor, lowered a fishing line and waited until something bit. I pulled it up: a fish made of books—green-covered vintage Penguin detective stories. I ate it raw, fearing a fire in my igloo.”

To the deeply philosophical:

“I heard distant thunder, and in the night, while we slept, it began to rain, tumbling my igloo of books, washing away the words from the world.”

The tale for October should be it’s own thing, a parable of great simplicity and elegance.

Notable Passage: “She spoke the truth, and the March winds blew madness around them.”



No comments:

Post a Comment