Friday, May 27, 2016

#392 Circe- Eudora Welty


#392 Circe- Eudora Welty

When I started this blog I new that I would come across some authors that would floor me right away, and I knew that I would come across some that I just wouldn’t connect with. Henry Dumas, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Rebecca Makkai are all authors I never read before this blog and are now among my favorites. Unfortunately, Eudora Welty falls in the latter category.

Perhaps it’s the old fashioned prose or the outdated sentiments, or it could be a thousand different things, but none of the Welty stories I read struck me on a personal level. I recognize her place in history and her importance to American letters and literature, but I am not trying to create a list of stories for any academic purpose. I just want to read stories that inspire me and make me want to go out and read more.

So this will be the last story of Welty I read. I know that chances are that I read the wrong stories. I made a promise that I wouldn’t “research” authors before reading them. That is I wouldn’t try to find their most popular works and start from there…I would just pick up a book and start reading. If I liked it, I’d read some more.

So, on to something else!

Notable Passage: “That moment of transformation—only the Gods really like it! Men and beasts almost never take in enough of the wonder to justify the trouble.”



No comments:

Post a Comment