Wednesday, July 19, 2017

#814 Cornsilk- Randall Kenan


#814 Cornsilk- Randall Kenan

The confusion of youth and passion. Aaron struggles with his first love. All his life he’s tried to recreate that feeling. His quest is for naught, and his fetish, forbidden and taboo, has become his defining characteristic. Only one other knows what it is. He is lost to obsession.

“Am I…scribbling the thoughts of a madman? Or am I merely depraved? Are these the thoughts of a neurotic? A Psychopath? Or am I just more honest than most?”

This whole story is written in twenty-three numbered sections, but they don’t read like chapters. It’s written as a list. I’m not sure why. I don’t understand the decision to do that. It doesn’t add anything and it’s not idiomatic of Kenan’s whole collection of stories. I could write it off as just a one time thing, but why?

Notable Passage: “There is no glory in tax law.”

No comments:

Post a Comment