Friday, August 21, 2015

#113 Eating Dirt- Carolyn Cooke


#113 Eating Dirt- Carolyn Cooke

This story appeared in the 1998 O. Henry Prize Stories collection. This is my first time reading Cooke.

There isn’t much I find in this story to like. We find ourselves at summer family picnic with two distinct sides of the family. They appear to be poor, very poor, dirt eating poor. The visiting family is catty, petty, judgmental, especially the grandma.

Grand has a new grandson, Troy, she hasn’t seen, noticed, or cares to know about. When she finds out about him, she goes into a drunken rage, having to be held back. She even goes so far as threatening to shoot people. Her rant is so convincing people hide the frightened Troy, not sure what kind of damage Grand is actually capable of.

Even to the very end, these characters are superficial and the ones we know the most about become loathsome. There is no redemption or moment of familial warmth. I’m not exactly sure why we needed to read about these people.

Notable Passage: “I think my life was more real to me when I was six than it is now.”



No comments:

Post a Comment