Monday, August 31, 2015

#123 Zombies- Jabari Asim


#123 Zombies- Jabari Asim

It’s summer in the neighborhood. We see little Crispus take a beating for leaving the safety of his stoop. We see the neighborhood kids play around and give each other crazy nicknames. They call Crispus 'Flip-Flop' because that’s what he got beat with this last time.

He and his brother walk together. His brother like to take him past the funeral home run by Mr. Burk, because he knows how much it freaks Crispus out. They talk to Mr. Burk about the dead bodies and then talk to each other about his grey, plastic, zombie eyes. They’re kids so the myths they tell are pretty fantastic:

“They like to buy black folks’ eyes because ours are so much bigger and better looking. You know how rich white folks are. When black folks die they pay for their eyes.”

Life is rough sometimes, but its also touching, especially through the eyes of children:

“I was always in a hurry to get to sleep because I got revenge in my dreams. I undid the day’s disasters and rewrote them to suit my most fervent desires. I had control. Everyone listened to me and there was no end to my handsomeness.”



No comments:

Post a Comment