Sunday, August 30, 2015

#121 New York Mining Disaster- Haruki Murakami


#121 New York Mining Disaster- Haruki Murakami

I’m not exactly sure I know what’s going on in this story. I think it’s a man trapped in a collapsed mine thinking about death, hallucinating about another life, or his previous existence before the mine.

He’s thinking about a friend of his that has a black funeral suit. His friend hasn’t had to use the suit since he bought it, nobody he knows has died. He has know many people that have died in that time frame and has borrowed the suit every time. He returns the suit and wonders if it smells like a funeral, smells like death.

“Clothes aren’t important. The real problem is what’s inside them.”

Smell is a theme brought back a few times, smell connected with death:

“…there are ways of dying that don’t end in funerals. Types of death you can’t smell.”

The narrator has an odd exchange with a woman at a party about death:

“You look exactly like someone I know”
“If he’s that much like me, I’d like to meet the guy.”
“You would?”
“I’d like to see what it feels like to meet someone who’s exactly like me.”
“But that’s impossible…he died five years ago.”
“Is that right?”
“I killed him.”

This seems like a hallucination due to deliria, bouncing between funerals, zoo visits, caged animals. Intriguing, but I struggled at its meaning.

Notable Passage: “…the ground we walk on goes all the way to the earth’s core, and I suddenly realized that the core has sucked up an incredible amount of time.”


No comments:

Post a Comment