Wednesday, August 5, 2015

#97 In a Tub- Amy Hempel


#97 In a Tub- Amy Hempel

When I began this project I asked everyone I knew what their favorite short stories were, or who their favorite short story authors were.  I got way too many recommendations for a mere 366 slots, so I had to triage the list a bit. The books I put on the top of the pile were from passionate recommendations. Amy Hampel came via those. The friend’s that liked here writing REALLY liked here writing.

So, I have Collected Stories which includes all of her short story books to date, too many to read this year, but enough to understand what all the fuss is about. I start with a short In A Tub. I see immediately how people like this style of prose. Its thoughtful, poetic, musical. Almost every description is an instruction manual for how to stop and enjoy life better.

“Here is what you do. You ease yourself into a tub of water, you ease yourself down. You lie back and wait for the ripples to smooth away. Then you take a deep breath, and slide your head under, and listen for the playfulness of your heart.”

If formatted differently, this could be read as an unmetered poem, in fact I’d like to read it that way, slow, purposeful and aloud. Beautiful. Proving that the short story doesn’t have to be a novella to be meaningful.

Notable Passage: “My heart—I thought it stopped. So I got in my car and headed for God.”



No comments:

Post a Comment