Saturday, August 12, 2017

#833 And Love Them? – Thomas Glave



#833 And Love Them? – Thomas Glave

Glave writes this as a white woman having an internal discussion with herself. She has race-guilt and is trying, but failing to work out her feelings on “them.” Hitting all the race hot spots and trying to bring up moments where she felt she was noticeable sympathetic to black people, but then of course equivocating strongly. Saying all too familiar common things like:

“Haven’t we all been hurt by something? But some of us still manage to think.”

“I know I’m a very compassionate person. I can feel sorry for anybody.”

“How I try, as God is my witness how I try.”

Life must be hard for such a compassionate, well-meaning person, who just wants to be kept out of the race issues of the world. Privilege has its…privileges, even if you yourself don’t acknowledge it.

No comments:

Post a Comment