Thursday, October 15, 2015

#167 Nashville Gone to Ashes- Amy Hempel


#167 Nashville Gone to Ashes- Amy Hempel

A widow is coming to grips with her husband’s death, and the life they shared.
“Here’s the trick I found for how to finally get some sleep. I sleep in my husband’s bed. That way the empty bed I look at is my own.”

He was a loving Veterinarian. They housed many animals, even though she was allergic. He gave her love, but she didn’t always feel special. “Things might have collapsed…But the furious care he gave the animals gave me hope and kept me waiting.”

“But the fact is, I think all of us were loved just the same. The love [my husband] gave to me was the same love he gave them. He did not say to the dogs, I will love you if you keep off the rug. He would love them no matter what they did. It’s what I got too. I wanted condition”

This is a bit charming, a bit melancholy, and a bit sad.

Notable Passage: “We give what we can—that’s as far as the heart will go.”





No comments:

Post a Comment