Friday, October 23, 2015

#176 Satan: Hijacker of a Planet- Louise Erdrich


#176 Satan: Hijacker of a Planet- Louise Erdrich

“The Antichrist is among us.”

Indeed he is, if you believe in that sort of thing.  A luring, attractive evangelist comes calling to recruit worshipers for a tent revival. The mother, who would have been fine buying anything from a door-to-door man--except salvation--had no interest. Her daughter however, juts learning about her womanly maturation, learning how to flirt and understanding the power of attractive men, but not fully understanding what that means.

The daughter goes to the revival and has her first contact with the power of evangelical speech and is invited to attend a healing session after the service by the young preacher. She believes that she has the power of envisioning pictures, and places with precise accuracy, so when others are having (or feigning) religious fervor she silently envisions her pictures.

The preacher takes advantage of her naivety, her sincere wonderment of the moment and in the ways of the Antichrist himself, stains the purity of the young woman.

Note: I love buying and reading used books. I still remember my first trip to a used book store where I picked up Leaves of Grass and The Iliad, not because I thought I would like those books (LOG did become my favorite book), but because the aesthetics of the old dog-eared, dusty, powerful things they were. However, I should have learned by now that you should NEVER buy a used book that has underlining. My copy of the 1998 O.Henry prize stories that this short story came from was clean right up to this story. Whoever read this story before me was a deranged, serial under-liner who went apeshit crazy on these pages…4 colors and no apparent method. Made reading this a bit schizophrenic.

Notable Passage: “The stars are the eyes of God, and they’ve been watching us from the beginning of the world.”



No comments:

Post a Comment