Monday, October 26, 2015

#179 The Boy on the Couch- Jabari Asim


#179 The Boy on the Couch- Jabari Asim

It’s tough being a 9 year old boy. Have to battle with older brothers, neighborhood bullies, parents always telling you what to do, and now you have your first crush? Life is complicated.

“Your grandma likes to say that there are no boys under this roof, but I’ll tell you this: there’s only one man and he ain’t you.”

Unfortunately for Crispus, the girl he had decided to have a crush on was playing with his fears, telling him that there was a ghost in his house. More specifically, there was a ghost of a boy sitting on his living room couch. That sent his whole world spinning.

“Then I went to my room, sat on my bed, and considered the situation. I didn’t like to visit the third floor because it was scary up there. I didn’t like to go to the basement by myself because it was scary down there. I had been avoiding the couch for several days because of the scary dents in the cushion. I was running out of places to cower.”

His mind, like his almost girlfriend, like his older brothers, start to play tricks on him. Life is rough for a 9 year-old boy.

Notable Passage: “I caught a whiff of her as she entered the kitchen, and she smelled delicious, just like the pie. She was wasting her time with Avon perfume. If she could bottle that stuff, she’d be a millionaire.”



No comments:

Post a Comment